Saturday, December 16, 2006

Eureka!


I have recently become obsessed with pho, or Vietnamese beef noodle soup. I could eat it every day, I think. But I have been trying in vain to recreate at home. I have tried three times, and decided I should probably just give up, because each time it is just plain disappointing compared to the restaurant version. This is a distressing experience, because I have a lot of faith in my ability to improve on things in the adaptation to homemade. However, today I was vindicated. I went to Le's Vietnamese restaurant in Harvard square a few day's ago, and had the seafood noodle soup for the first time. This proved much easier and more satisfying in the translation to the home kitchen. I used sliced cuttlefish and Japanese steamed fish cake, which is nice for presentation. I'm glad it worked out, because I've nearly killed our Thai basil plant trying to make this soup. It grew really big over the summer, but all that's left now is a few twigs.

2 comments:

Zulu said...

I'm a pho whore ^_^

loving pho everyday hehehe getting fat because of it ;)

I love pho with tripes, a little fat, brisket, beef balls

Sometimes i order the chicken or seafood pho but my fav. would always be the pho with beef :D

your pho looks excellent!

my husband and i tried to make pho too and it was a hard job, many things to prepare, but in the end satisfying big time as the taste is just like the phot at the restaurant ^_^

here is the picture of our step by step pho making
http://www.flickr.com/photos/indorecipe/141349650/


in Ottawa the pho are better than in Montreal. Only recently we at last have found our fav. pho here in Montreal

Come read my pho restaurant reviews sometime when you have the time. maybe you will go visiting ottawa or montreal sometimes and you can give them a try :D

http://therestaurantreviews.blogspot.com/


take care!

Unknown said...

Pho with tripe sounds great..I would like your basic recipe for your pho soup..Please..Marie