Wednesday, June 20, 2007

All work and no cooking (not really)

I'm exhausted today, as I've been trying to catch up on some work and continuing to make preparations for our move to Paraguay. So I don't think I'll have too much to say about the meals we've been cooking. We spent the first part of this week eating up all the yummy leftovers from last week, and cooking very little. Plus we were showing our apartment so we were trying to keep the kitchen very clean.

I snuck in a few purchases along with the groceries for when my parents were here of things we always want but can never afford. One item was good smoked salmon. When we were in New York for the first time we decided we had better go to a deli and get some authentic bagel and lox. I really didn't expect much, because I really didn't care too much for lox or smoked salmon when I had tried it before. We were blown away by how much better it was and baffled why it should actually be any different at this deli in Brooklyn than in Boston or anywhere else. On our second trip to New York, I was skeptical that we could recreate our sublime lox experience, but sure enough we ordered a pumpernickel bagel with lox, cream cheese, etc. at a deli across the street from Lincoln center and it was amazing. We haven't been to New York for a while now, and David has been bugging me about craving lox. I didn't want to buy the cheep stuff because I'm sure it would be disappointing and not a terribly 'eco-friendly' choice either. So I slipped a small package of wild alaska lox into our basket at Savenor's. Thanks mom and dad! It wasn't quite the same as our big apple lox (only god and the deli man knows why) but it was pretty good.



We've also been using up saturday's farmer's market purchases. This was asparagus and some mild variety of asian mustard green, stir fried with oyster sauce and black vinegar. They turned out perfectly crisp and green with lots of flavor. I wanted to spare us the carb calories and didn't make any rice. It was a real mistake because their was nothing to soak up the sauce and balance the rich flavors. Next time I'll just jog a little longer the next day.


Farm egg omelet filled with sautéed pea tendrils, prosciutto, and truffled cheese. This used up the last of last week's cheese board and some prosciutto that was too old for sandwiches. I love farm eggs. Someday I swear I will have chickens in my yard so I can have them any time I want.


Finally, last night we had curried udon noodles with spicy chinese mustard greens and sugar snap peas. I'm thinking of adding sliced beef to the leftovers.

No comments: