Thursday, April 12, 2007

Crime and Punishment



So my apologies for not posting sooner, but I'm very sad to disclose that someone stole my laptop. A warning to everyone:, it takes literally less than a minute, and it can happen when your bag is within eyesight. In this case, while I was checking out a book in the music library, a space perhaps only twice as big and more open than my appartment. I saw someone suspiciously leave while I was checking out the book, and when I turned around to grab my bag, the laptop was gone. I hope whoever ended up with it enjoyed all of the food pictures before they reformatted it, or destroyed it for parts. Needless to say, this has taken its toll on my productivity, so I didn't have time to go grocery shopping, to clean the kitchen, and start cooking again until recently.
This picture attests to the clutter my life was in last week. Amid papers and piled up mail is a bowl of orecchiette with pesto and lentils.
Yesterday's dinner was a big hit, though it took an enormous amount of work. I made chicken biryani from some chicken I've had frozen for more than a month and all of the spices tat exist in the whole wide world. I suddenly understand why its a right of passage for young indian women to learn to prepare, 'full indian dinner.'


Tonight we had the leftovers, which had time to deepen their flavor, and I made some whole wheat naan, which were excellent.



This is a picture of the pho I made when I was home over spring break at my parents house, this is the enormous plate of thai basil and bean sprouts. We made the broth completely from scratch from ox tails, and made homemade beefballs, It took probably 7 hours and was a logistical nightmare. I don't know if its worth it, considering that restaurant pho is pretty good and really cheap. But, it was far and away the best pho I've ever made, and my family was very impressed.


Here I am, very focused, dishing out the pho.

5 comments:

Alice said...

Your Indian dinner looks great! We went out with mommy, daddy, Leticia and the twins to this place on Devon today, and the naan was not much to write home about, your's looks much better. I'm glad the jerk-o laptop theif didn't stop you from posting altogether. You try and make Dal Makahni, and then post the recipe if it works, that's my favorite!

Sam said...

I can't believe you missed the opportunity to say Pho-cused...

Gustavo said...

damn it! your right!

Gustavo said...

They took the twins to Devon? Did they have fun? I don't think I've ever had Dal Makhini. I'll have to try it before I attempt to cook it. I changed the picture on this post, because I accidently posted one of the duds, by the way.

Anonymous said...

auto air and more las vegas inmatriculare auto camo baby car seat cover dooney burke mini bmw motorcycle 1982